Spiritual quest is the hallmark of Indian classical music, which is regarded as the fifth Veda. It is said to be a manifestation of the cosmic sound OM and is revered as 'Nadabrahma'. Shri Rama Kala Vedike is a registered non-profit trust formed to serve the cause of this musical divinity. It has been performing this task with single-minded devotion for the last several years with the generous support of music lovers.
The beginning and the path of progress
In the year 1978, to perpetuate the memory of his father Shri Ramachandra Yavagal, who was passionate about music and selflessly promoted it, Pt. Ravindra Yavagal began organising memorial concerts and encouraging aspiring musicians. Enthused by the response he got from the artistes as well as music lovers, along with the support of his mother Smt. Parvathibai Yavagal and other members of the family, and with modest resources but high aims, he founded the Vedike as a trust in the year 2000. Since then, Yavagalji and his co-trustees have tirelessly worked in pursuing the objectives of the Vedike undaunted by the hurdles that their path encountered. Today, the Vedike has established itself as an organization of pristine principles and bonded well with musicians and the discerning public, reflecting the very achievement of Shri Ramachandra Yavagal during his lifetime.
Objectives of the Vedike
The Vedike, as part of its objectives, has been :
- organising at least four music programs every year,
- awarding scholarships to selected, eligible students of music,
- conducting music workshops by senior artists,
- honouring a distinguished artiste every year with title 'Kalashringa', an award instituted in memory of late Sri Ramachandra Yavagal,
- honouring five individuals every year who have made significant contributions to the world of music in the five fields - teacher, instrument maker, music critic, connoisseur and organizer,
- providing medical assistance to senior artistes who need financial support,
- conducting art exhibitions, and
- continuing its efforts to establish a fulltime school for music in the next few years.
The Vedike proposes to expand and broad-base its activities so as to reach a wider section of the society.
In the last few years, the Vedike has showcased performances by well-known veterans such as Padma Vibhushan Vidushi Dr. Gangubai Hanagal, Padma Vibhushan Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Padma Bhushan M. S. Gopala Krishnan, Padma Shri Pt. Vishwamohan Bhat, Padma Bhushan Dr. Prabha Atre, Padmabhushan Dr N. Rajam, Padma Bhushan Pt. Rajan and Pt. Sajan Mishra, Padma Bhushan Vidwan R. K. Srikantan, Vidushi Ashwini Bhide Deshpande, Dr. Alka Deo Marulkar, Pt. Rajiv Taranath, Vidushi Lalit J. Rao, Padma Shri Pt. Venkatesh Kumar, Pt. Vinayak Torvi, Pt. Parameshwara Hegde and several others.
The Vedike is proud that it has provided child prodigies and upcoming artists with opportunities to exhibit their talents.
Appeal to you
You, the music lover, are the Vedike's strength. We look forward to a greater contribution from you to make the journey of music more delightful and more meaningful. In that regard -
- please attend the Vedike's events in large numbers and encourage its activities,
- please donate funds generously to the Vedike and support its endeavours,
- please suggest ways and means of making the programmes of the Vedike more popular.
For further information please contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org